Are you looking for the best cordless lawnmower? Read my reviews, my opinions and a complete selection guide.
Battery-powered lawnmowers have been enjoying huge success lately, even in the hobby and home gardening sector. Not surprisingly, they have several advantages. First of all, the prices have dropped and there are also smaller models, cheaper and therefore designed for non-professional use and not excessive sizes. Secondly, they do not consume fuel and consequently do not emit toxic fumes into the air. That’s why today I’ll explain how to choose them and which ones are the best around.
Advantages of the battery lawnmower
Compared to a manual propeller lawn mower, battery-powered electric models are less tiring for the user, especially if you choose a self-propelled device (which only works partially by pushing). They are also more suitable for medium-sized gardens, as the battery life allows you to mow a lawn larger than 100 square meters. There are also several battery-powered lawnmowers suitable for lawns and gardens up to 1,000 square meters, but this always depends on the cutting width of the rotary disc.
Unlike the electric wire lawn mowers, you will not have the cable between your feet and this obviously allows you to move with greater agility and in total freedom. And being battery powered, as I anticipated, they do not produce exhaust fumes and also cost less, because you will not be forced to spend on fuel. Then consider that, with respect to petrol models, the maintenance phase is much simpler, as you will have to limit yourself to charging the battery and sharpening the blades. Finally, the engine starts at the push of a button and without any special procedures, and this is another advantage that you must take into account.
Best cordless lawnmowers
1. ParkerBrand Multifunction 5 in 1 52 CC Nitro Engine
In my opinion one of the best battery-powered lawnmowers currently on sale, signed among other things by a brand that is a guarantee: Bosch. This device has a cutting width corresponding to 43 centimeters, so it falls within a medium-high range and is suitable for lawns and gardens up to about 400 square meters. Also consider that it has a mowing bag with a capacity of 50 liters, so it is quite roomy.
- Cutting width: 43 centimeters
- Working width: about 400 square meters
- Cutting height: 2 cm to 7 cm (6 levels)
- Bag capacity: 50 liters
- Batteries: 2 supplied+ charger
It is very important to consider the possibility of adjusting the cutting height, and even in this case we find only good news. The Bosch Rotak 430 Li battery-powered lawnmower, in fact, allows you to select 6 different levels, from a minimum of 2 centimeters to a maximum of 7 centimeters, thanks to its centralized lever. Also, you should know that the package includes not one but two batteries, along with the appropriate charger (the price is high for this reason too).
What are the other qualities to emphasize? Its accuracy is excellent, and the quality of the blade of the highest level, as it was made of hardened steel. Secondly, it has sturdy wheels that can cover any surface, weighs little (about 13 kilos) and is really handy and agile. It does not have a deflector for mulching, but it does have a set of blades with Leaf Collect technology, which makes it easier to collect the foliage from the ground.
If you are interested there is also a version that includes the mulching deflector, with a slightly higher cost:
- Excellent relationship between quality and price
- Lightweight and easy to drive
- High performance steel blades
- Optimized for leaf collection
- Includes 2 lithium batteries and charger
- It is not a cheap lawn mower
- It does not have a deflector for mulching cutting
2. Makita DLM431Z Lawn Mower 18Vx2-430 mm
In the list of the best battery-powered lawnmowers I could not fail to include a model from Makita, another very famous brand in the gardening sector. This device stands out first of all due to its competitive price, considering that it mounts a blade with a cutting width of 43 centimeters. In addition, it has a collection bag with a capacity of 50 liters and the possibility to understand the filling level, thanks to the indicator.
- Cutting width: 43 centimeters
- Working width: about 900 square meters
- Cutting height: 2cm to 7.5cm (13 levels)
- Bag capacity: 50 liters
- Batteries: 2 x 18 V (not supplied)
The cutting height adjustment value is really excellent, which can be set starting from a minimum of 2 cm up to a maximum of 7.5 cm (13 different positions). Also know that this model, when used with two 5.0 Ah batteries, is able to ensure an autonomy such as to be able to mow lawns up to about 900 square meters with a duration of 30 minutes. However, the batteries are not included, so you will have to buy them separately: here is the link to the 5.0 Ah battery and the charger.
The technological equipment is of a high standard, since it is equipped with an electric brake and a soft start system. It does not have the option for mulching, but it is rather light (18 kilograms) and easy to maneuver, also thanks to the wheels with ball bearings, which roll well on any terrain. Finally, it has a double safety switch and a handle that can be tilted in 2 positions (it is a folding model).
- Clean and performing cut
- Adjustable cutting height in 13 positions
- Foldable handle
- Excellent battery life
- Wide cutting width of the blade
- Batteries to be purchased separately
- It does not have a mulching deflector
3. Einhell GE-CM 36 Li Cordless Lawnmower
Another lap, another race, another very thick battery electric lawn mower. This Einhell model boasts a smaller cutting width than the previous ones, equal to 36 cm, and a centralized adjustment of the height of the blades with 6 options to choose from, from 2.5 cm to 7.5 cm maximum. Plus, the box includes 2 18V (3Ah) batteries and 2 quick chargers, which explains why the price isn’t exactly cheap.
- Cutting width: 36 centimeters
- Working width: about 350 square meters
- Cutting height: 2.5cm to 7.5cm (6 levels)
- Bag capacity: 40 liters
- Batteries: 2 x 18 V (supplied)
- Battery charger: 2 rapid (supplied)
Although not very light (almost 20 kilos), this cordless lawnmower is very easy to handle, and when you are done you can fold the handle in 3 different positions and store it while minimizing clutter. Also consider that this device has large wheels that do not damage the grass as it passes, and that there is also a version with the mulching deflector included in the package.
Before buying it, know that it can be suitable for lawns up to a maximum of 350 square meters, therefore it is not suitable for large gardens. And the collection capacity? The canvas bag is replaced by a plastic compartment with a maximum capacity of 40 liters, and is very easy to disassemble and empty. Although not professional, it is a very performing device with a very high cutting precision.
- Cutting height with different options
- 2 batteries and 2 quick chargers included
- Rigid plastic collection container
- Ideal for small or medium sized gardens
- Handle foldable in 3 positions
- Also suitable for tall and wet grass
- Not suitable for lawns over 350 square meters
- It does not have the option for mulching
4. Greenworks GD40LM46SP Li-Ion 40 V 46cm 750m²
If you are looking for a cordless lawnmower with built-in mulching function, then I recommend this model from Greenworks. It is a non-economical device but one of the best performing ever, with a cutting width of 46 cm and a working width of up to about 750 square meters. Unfortunately the package does not include batteries and charger, while the bag has a capacity of 55 liters.
- Cutting width: 46 centimeters
- Working width: about 750 square meters
- Cutting height: 2cm to 8cm (7 levels)
- Bag capacity: 55 liters
- Batteries: 1 or 2 (not supplied)
- I unload: also lateral
Consider that unlike the others, this is a 3-in-1 lawnmower that can also work with the side discharge, and I remind you that if you want you can activate the mulching function. It also gives you the ability to adjust up to 7 cutting height levels (from 2cm up to 8cm), and features an extremely quiet, neighborhood-friendly brushless motor. Consider that it works by mounting 1 or 2 batteries (not supplied), and in fact it is perfect for medium-large gardens and for those who need a rather powerful lawnmower.
I haven’t told you yet about the possibility of adjusting the speed of the wheels: being variable, you can adapt it to your pace. What are the other peculiarities of this Greenworks battery electric lawnmower? You can also use only 1 battery at a time, and having the wheels with self-propelled technology you will have less effort. Finally, it works without problems even on rather barren terrain, without any kind of effort.
- For lawns up to 750 square meters
- One of the most powerful in this price range
- Mulching cut with side discharge option
- Self-propelled motion technology
- Precise and clean cut
- Does not include batteries and charger
- The price is quite high
5. Bosch Rotak 32 LI 32 cm (Battery+ Charger)
I started with a Bosch cordless lawnmower, and ended up with another model from the same brand. Always the Rotak, only this time we are talking about the version with a 32 cm cutting width, and which as always includes the charger and the battery. Furthermore, the cutting height is adjustable from a minimum of 3 cm up to a maximum of 6 cm (on 3 levels), so it is slightly lower than the other devices on the list.
- Cutting width: 32 centimeters
- Working width: about 250 square meters
- Cutting height: 3 cm to 6 cm (3 levels)
- Bag capacity: 31 liters
- Batteries: 1 supplied+ charger
Consider that we are dealing with the Speedy Gonzalez of cordless lawnmowers, since it weighs just over 10 kilos and is super compact and ultra-handy. It is clear that we are talking about a model designed for small gardens (250 m2), also due to the fact that it has a collection bag with a maximum capacity of 31 liters. In addition, it has a resealable handle and a comfortable ergonomic handle.
Don’t be fooled by appearances, because despite being small it is still quite powerful, and equipped with sharp and precise steel blades. It is also very effective when you use it along the edges of flower beds, walls and sidewalks, precisely because it is very agile and compact. In summary, even if it costs, it is a very valuable helper for lawn mowing, and is also perfect against tall grass.
- Very compact and super handy
- Includes battery and charger
- Very sharp and precise steel blades
- Great for small gardens and lawns
- Structure with resealable handle
- Lower bag capacity and cutting height
- Only suitable for lawns up to 250 square meters
How to choose the cordless lawnmower
1. Cutting width and square footage
As I mentioned earlier, the cutting width is a crucial factor in choosing the perfect cordless lawnmower for your situation. The basic rule is the following: the more the rotary disc has a large diameter, the more the appliance is able to mow a larger area of lawn with a single pass. Here is a little insight.
- Blade from 30 to 35 cm: it is the typical diameter of the blades of small lawnmowers, designed for gardens up to 150 or 200 square meters.
- 36 to 40 cm blade: in this case, they are perfect luminaires for lawns from 200 square meters to 350 square meters.
- 41 to 45 cm blade: ideal for medium-sized gardens, from 350 square meters up to a maximum of 500 square meters.
- Blade from 46 to 50 cm: for medium-large gardens and lawns, from 500 square meters up to 800 square meters.
- 51 to 55 cm blade: These cordless lawnmowers are designed for leveling large gardens from 900 to 1,500 square meters.
As you can see, the market offers small to medium-sized options that are perfect for city lawns and gardens. Also add the fact that, by not emitting fumes or annoying noises, you will not foul the neighborhood and you will not risk pissing off the neighbors.
2. Power and autonomy of work
Unlike the wired models, where the power is measured in watts, in the battery powered ones it is indicated by referring to the voltage of the latter, which can range from a minimum of 12 V to a maximum of 36 V. Another factor to consider is the amperage per hour, indicated with the value “Ah” (autonomy of work): a high hourly amperage prolongs the life of the battery. The higher both values are, the more the mower will be able to work on large areas. Then consider that the voltage and hourly amperage are always balanced with the cutting diameter of the blades.
Very low or medium-low power
- Blades from 30 to 35 cm: 18 to 20 V, 2 or 4 Ah
- Blades from 35 to 38 cm: 24 V, 2 or 4 Ah
- 39 to 42 cm blades: 36 to 40 V, 2 or 4 Ah
Medium or medium-high power
- 42 to 44 cm blades: 48 V, 2.5 or 5 Ah
- 45 to 47 cm blades: 60 V, 2.5 or 5 Ah
High or very high power
- 48 to 53 cm blades: 80V or 120V, 2.5 or 5Ah
As for the battery life, this may vary depending on the model and the factors seen above. Consider that generally a battery-powered electric lawnmower can keep for about 30 minutes, if used intensively. Of course, nothing prevents you from buying a replacement battery, so you can double its life.
3. Cutting height adjustment
Almost all cordless lawnmowers (even small and hobbyist ones) give you the ability to adjust the cutting height of the blade with the blades. In this way you can decide for yourself the level of mowing of the grass, according to your needs of the moment. Of course, the number of possible adjustments varies from model to model, but generally it is possible to reach a maximum of 13 selectable heights.
If we talk about data, usually the minimum level corresponds to a height of 1.6 cm, while the maximum can reach over 8 cm. Consider that the system that allows you to adjust this value can also change, and that there are two types: the centralized adjustment (1 lever or 1 mechanism) and the diversified one (4 levers, one for each wheel). In models designed for hobby work there is always a single central lever.
4. Cutting, unloading and collection systems
Surely you already know that in most cases the battery electric lawnmower is equipped with a rigid plastic or canvas rear tank. In that case we are faced with a classic rear cutting and unloading / collection system. In other cases there is no bag, so the appliance unloads directly onto the ground from the rear area, directing the cut grass thanks to a special deflector.
The deflector is also found in the side discharge systems, which are the best for cutting tall grass, without the need to collect it. Finally there are the mulching mowers, which are able to finely chop the grass clippings so that it can be used as a fertilizer, and who download it directly onto the ground. Here is an in-depth analysis for each type, which also includes the advantages of each system.
- Rear unloading and collection: the lawnmower unloads the clippings in the rear tank, so as to give us the possibility to dispose of the cut grass later and as we prefer.
- Rear exhaust: very similar to the previous model, they do not mount the bag and therefore unload the grass clippings on the lawn from the rear area, through a deflector.
- Side discharge: in this case the discharge takes place laterally, and is a very effective system for lawns with tall grass and for those who want to work quickly, without having to empty the tank every time.
- Mulching cut: unlike the other cutting systems, mulching shreds the grass by unloading it on the lawn, transforming it into fertilizer for the soil. On the other hand, it is unsuitable for tall grass, and is especially suitable for medium-low grass.
As I mentioned earlier, in the hobby lawn mowers sector the most frequent system is that of the rear discharge in the collection tank. The capacity of the bag or container varies from case to case, and can reach about 70 liters, starting from an average of 40 liters. However, sometimes it happens to find models that include a special deflector to activate the mulching cut at will. Finally, nothing prevents you from removing the bag and using the mower as a rear discharge without collection.
5. Motion technology
In the field of domestic battery lawnmowers, the most popular model is undoubtedly the one with push movement. It is very easy to describe: the wheels move forwards and backwards solely thanks to the user, who works by pushing or pulling the appliance. The self-propelled technology, on the other hand, accompanies the user’s push thanks to the movement of the wheels powered by the battery.
- Push: it is the most common option in domestic lawn mowers, because it is the most suitable for small lawns or gardens. It is more comfortable when you have to do the slalom between various obstacles, although obviously you will struggle a little more.
- Self-propelled technology: ideal for mowing medium or large spaces, due to the movement of the wheels that accompanies the user’s push. Since the movement is rectilinear, however, it is not very suitable in the presence of many obstacles to get around.
The devices with self-propelled technology are widespread above all in the field of professional or semi-professional devices. In my opinion it is not an indispensable option if you have to use it in a garden that is not very large: in that case, in fact, having to mow a small lawn you will not struggle during the push, even if this is not assisted by the motor.
6. Materials and construction
Today, almost all cordless lawnmowers have an ABS plastic shell, which is very hard and specially designed to withstand the most violent impacts. The plastic, while being particularly sturdy, is not heavy and therefore does not affect the comfort of use of the appliance too much. Of course, if you choose a push model, this detail makes all the difference in the world.
If we go once again in the field of professional battery-powered lawnmowers, designed for large lawns, it often happens to find models made with a steel body. Their advantage is greater strength than plastic, but they weigh more, while a good middle ground is aluminum, which is rather light but less resistant. Returning to steel, it is better to opt for stainless steel, as it resists oxidation and rust.