Are you looking for the best petrol auger? Today I will tell you which are the most interesting models and how to choose it.
The petrol post hole borer is a very powerful device, designed for versatile use, both in agriculture and in construction. It has an engine that runs on mixture or petrol, and the power to be able to drill any solid or semi-solid material, due to the presence of a massive helical blade mounted on a vertical axis. The helical shape of the blade, then, allows the tool to extract the waste material from the surface, so as to get it out of the hole.
As for the possible uses, it is often used for reforestation, planting of shrubs and fruit trees, coring and installation of poles.
How the petrol auger works
The tool in question belongs to the category of earth augers, and the structure is not complicated to describe. In practice, we find 4 elements.
- 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine
- Drill bit with spiral blade
- Handle with handles
- Integrated safety system
1. 2 or 4 stroke engine
The engine is the real heart of petrol drills, and is capable of unleashing enough power to allow the drills to drill very hard materials. Being a mixture or petrol model, the engine is activated “by pulling”, therefore pulling a special cord towards you. As I anticipated, the engines of models of this type can be 2-stroke or 4-stroke.
The former are fueled with a mixture and are excellent for those who want to save money, while the latter run on petrol and are the most powerful of all. To give you a concrete example, a 75cc petrol auger will most likely have a 4-stroke engine (but not necessarily). Consider that in this case you can even reach an excavation depth of about 3 meters.
- 2-stroke engine: allows you to reach a maximum of 50 cc of volume, 2.5 hp of power and approximately 1 meter of excavation depth.
- 4-stroke engine: a maximum of 75 cc of volume, 6 hp of power and approximately 3 meters of depth can be reached.
Don’t worry, because later on I will deepen the engine issue with a separate chapter, so as to give you the opportunity to learn more about the two options. Before going on, I remind you that we are talking about devices with a mixture or petrol engine, therefore with a tank and completely without cable.
2. Tip with spiral blade
The tip is also a fundamental component to study when trying to understand how to choose a petrol auger. There are two values to consider, and it is the length and diameter of the blades. The first factor is responsible for the depth of the hole you will dig, while the diameter defines the width of the hole.
- Depth: the tip can reach a digging depth of up to 3 meters, but only by installing special extensions. However, it starts from a minimum of 80 cm, up to 1.2 meters without extensions.
- Diameter: generally on sale you can find tools with tips of 10 cm in diameter, 20 cm or 30 cm.
I will also dedicate a special section to the tips, because there are some key elements to analyze, such as the type of blade (1-start or 2-start).
3. Handle with handle
The handle is located in front of the motor unit or around it, and has a rather simple purpose to understand: it allows the operator (or operators) to maintain control over the drill, so as to guarantee both safety and accuracy of work.
There are 2 side handles and, depending on the model and power, 2 operators could be needed to control it, as in the case of appliances with blades over 30 cm in diameter. In reality this rarely applies to models for agriculture and gardening, as such large blades belong to construction drills.
4. Integrated security systems
Almost all models of petrol augers have a double lever system. The first is for starting the tip with blade, then for drilling the ground, while the second acts as an emergency stop, in case of loss of control. If problems arise, just release the second lever and the tip immediately stops spinning, locking itself right away.
Best petrol earth augers
1. Todeco Earth Auger Auger Displacement 52 cm³
I had the chance to try it myself, and I was really satisfied. This model of the Todeco mixture with 2-stroke engine is excellent for the holes for the fences and for the plants, it does not overheat and has a competitive price. As for the technical values, the engine has a displacement of 53 cubic cm, and the package includes a convenient set of 3 tips (10, 15 and 20 centimeters).
- Pack with 3 tips included
- Motor power: 2.2 kW and 52 cubic cm
- Tip length: 12.4 to 20 cm
- 2-stroke engine
- Kit includes gloves, tools and extension tip
- Tank capacity: 1.2 liters
- Total weight: about 12 kilos
I consider this petrol auger a real all-rounder, thanks to a set of tips that covers every possible need. The diameters of 10, 15 and 20 centimeters are in fact excellent for digging on any terrain, and for making holes of different sizes. Sure, it struggles a bit on clayey and wet soils, but unfortunately this happens with all non-professional grade drills.
The tool is however optimal both for planting trees and planting plants, and for installing palisades and fences. The accessory kit is extraordinary, as it also includes several tools and a pair of gloves, and the tank capacity is quite high. Excellent precision when digging, as well as the handle, very comfortable and ergonomic.
Please note that the package also contains the extension to extend the tip, and that the manufacturing materials are anti-rust. In addition, the product has regular European certifications, and is very simple to use, also thanks to the clear and legible instructions. If you are looking for a functional and versatile auger, this is for you.
- Excellent accessory kit
- 3 tips with different diameters
- Easy to use and very comfortable
- Sufficient power for gardening
- It does not overheat
- The engine starts after a few jerks
- Excellent value for money
- Not suitable for wet clay soils
2. Grandmaster Auger 3 Spouts With Extender 62 cc
Another round, another excellent drill with a 2-stroke engine and petrol and oil. The GrandMaster has a pack with 3 augers included, with diameters of 10, 15 and 20 centimeters, and a motor with a displacement of 62 cubic centimeters. The price is absolutely in line with the market, and the performances are optimal both for planting plants and for drilling holes for posts. And it’s also one of the lightest, weighing 12.5 kilograms.
- 2-stroke engine
- Engine displacement: 62 cc
- 3 bits included with different diameters
- Extension tip supplied
- Tank: 1.2 liters (petrol) and 250 ml (oil)
- Tip length: 10 to 20cm
- Anti-vibration system
- Weight: 12.5 kilograms
Also in this case the endowment of the tips is of the highest range, with 3 elements of 10, 15 and 20 centimeters in diameter. So in terms of versatility we find everything we need to act on various types of terrain, as long as these are not too hard. Good engine power, with a displacement of 62 cubic centimeters, and the extension tip allows you to increase the depth of the excavations.
In spite of a not excessive price, this model mounts a system that reduces vibrations, and which therefore facilitates the use of the thermal auger. Also consider that it has a very low weight, since it does not exceed 12.5 kilos, and it is another excellent factor in terms of comfort. Secondly, the starter rope is solid and doesn’t break, and the engine starts after a few pulls.
It is quite noisy but it is normal: being a 2-stroke, the engine reaches a total of decibels around 110 db. As for the mixture, you can use unleaded 95 octane petrol and lithium grease as oil, in a ratio of 25 to 1. In conclusion, a great tool for planting trees, palisades and other supports.
- Excellent supply of accessories
- System that limits the vibrations
- Good engine power
- Very light drill
- 3 tips with different diameters
- Extender included in the package
- Not ideal for very hard soils
3. Horti Power 3 Point Auger With 82 cc Engine
It costs a lot, but if you are looking for a professional petrol auger, you will fall in love with this tool. The Horti Power has a very performing engine, with a displacement of 82 cubic cm, and an equipment that includes 3 tips of different diameters (10, 20 and 30 centimeters). Secondly, it is so powerful that it can pierce the earth like butter.
- Engine displacement: 82 cc
- 3 tips supplied
- Length of the tips: 1 meter
- 60cm extender
- 1.2 liter tank
- 2-stroke engine
Despite being a 2-stroke engine auger, it has a higher than average power, with a very high displacement and a comfortable anti-vibration system. The length of the tips allows you to reach a total depth of 1.6 meters, also including the supplied extender. The tank has an average capacity (1.2 liters), while the camera body has a very reliable balancing mechanism.
Despite being more demanding as a weight, it is very simple to use and has no complications in starting and pulling. There is also a gearbox with a very large set of gears, which favors both the maneuverability and the versatility of this thermal engine drilling rig.
Of course, since it is a 2-stroke, the engine runs on a mixture of petrol (lead-free with 90 octane) and oil, with a ratio of 25 to 1. Unfortunately, the manual does not have the Italian language, so assembly could become a bit tricky for beginners. For the rest, the power is truly exceptional and the Horti is perfect for agricultural use, for example for planting or installing palisades.
- Very high power
- 3 tips supplied in the package
- Extender supplied
- Maximum depth 1.6 meters
- Excellent weight balance
- There is no manual in Italian
How to choose the petrol auger
1. 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine?
First of all, know that both motors are very performing, and allow you to drill rather hard surfaces. It is clear, however, that only a really powerful engine will give you the possibility to work, for example, on concrete or on the road surface. For this reason it is important to deepen the discussion of engine times, to find a perfect petrol auger for your specific needs.
This is the best-selling model ever, because it is aimed at an audience that does not have particularly high demands. The equipment with 2-stroke engines, then, have several advantages:
- They are suitable for both hobby and professional use
- They have a higher power in relation to the displacement
- They have more torque and are more responsive
- They are lighter and easier to handle
- They cost less than 4-stroke models
- They almost always require only one operator
- The maintenance phase is also quicker and simpler
However, it must be specified that there are also cons, such as the need to prepare the mixture. In addition, they have a higher fuel consumption and unfortunately produce a higher number of vibrations, despite the presence of bearings that limit this problem. That’s why it’s best to avoid using them on very hard surfaces.
I don’t want to go too far into how a 4-stroke engine works, also because that’s not exactly my field. Broadly speaking, these models have a crankshaft with a cycle in 2 rotations and in 4 phases: intake, compression, combustion and exhaust. The system in question allows you to enjoy several advantages in use:
- Greater energy efficiency and lower consumption
- More torque and therefore more power
- Lower harmful emissions to air
- Quieter engine than 2-stroke
- Lower and lower vibrations
Also in this case there are disadvantages: it weighs more than the 2-stroke and is less “snappy” in the short term. Finally, the maintenance of a 4-stroke is more complex.
2. Purpose of use
Now that you know the advantages, disadvantages and differences between the two types of engines, you are probably wondering which is the best option for you. Below I will give you a small summary of the matter.
- 2-stroke engine: is of a hobbyist or semi-professional level. If you are a gardening enthusiast or a farmer, you can settle for a model with this engine, due to its high performance. It’s easier to use, and it’s great for planting trees and palisades.
- 4-stroke engine: is the model designed for professional use. It has higher power and can drill even very hard materials, so perhaps it is overkill for a garden or a plot of land. It is not suitable for beginners, due to its weight, and therefore to the increased risk (if you don’t know how to “keep it at bay”).
Just for completeness of information, know that there are also models of augers with electric motor, even simpler to use, but useful only for hobby use.
If, on the other hand, you have to plant a few poles, or a few shrubs, I suggest you get information by reading mine as well guide on manual drills.
3. Petrol drill bits
I talked about the technical values a little above, referring to the length of the tip and the diameter of the blade. Here I want to focus on other aspects, first of all giving you some advice for choosing.
If you have to plant a pole, make sure the blade diameter is greater than the latter. Otherwise, once the post is planted, you will not have the space to fill the hole with soil and press it.
Furthermore, you can find two types of tips, and these are the 1-start and 2-start tips. What are the differences?
- Aim for 1 principle: this tip has a blade that runs around the vertical axis wrapping it. It is the simplest of all, but also the least accurate and the slowest when drilling.
- Aim for 2 principles: in this case the blades that wrap the axis are 2, and they are equidistant and parallel. The advantages? The two principles speed up excavation operations and ensure greater work accuracy.
Also know that all the tips of a petrol auger can be disassembled, and if necessary replaced with other more performing ones, often already present in the package. Sometimes the kits also contain an extension tip, which is used to reach greater depths.
Finally, since they are on the subject, I also mention the presence of augers for drill: in fact, these are micro-tips suitable for making small holes in the ground.